Baroque Japan Limited (Head Office: Meguro-ku, Tokyo; Representative Director and CEO: Hiroyuki Murai) hosted events for media representatives on October 26 and 27 at its ENFÖLD and MOUSSY stores that opened in September in New York.
(left)At MOUSSY SOHO: from left, calligrapher and artist Maaya Wakasugi; Baroque Japan Limited Representative Director and CEO Hiroyuki Murai; and Senior Executive Officer, Sales Division Deputy Manager, Overseas Business Manager, and Baroque USA Limited CEO Akihito Fukasawa
(center)At ENFÖLD WEST VILLAGE: Spring/Summer 2017 collection presented by a model
(right)At MOUSSY SOHO: This season’s brand campaign model Peyton Knight
■New York Store Opening Aims and Updates
Baroque opened freestanding street-level stores in New York for its fashion brands ENFÖLD and MOUSSY, on September 9 and 10, 2016, respectively, with the aim of creating hubs of communication targeting Asia. Almost two months on, ENFÖLD attracts a broad range of customers of all nationalities, from local residents to tourists, a number of whom have grown into regular repeat customers. The women’s brand enjoys an unexpected response from male customers, who request that items be made in a wider selection of sizes. MOUSSY serves a large number of customers who recognize the brand such as from purchasing or trying on MOUSSY denim items in stores on the West Coast or in Texas. Hit products at MOUSSY include “Made in Japan” denim as anticipated, and at ENFÖLD the wide box coat.
■ENFÖLD Event outline
• Date and time : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:00–12:00
• Contents : About 60 major representatives of the New York media were invited to join the preview event, where the Spring/Summer 2017 collection was unveiled. The guests were served a catered breakfast to enjoy along with a presentation of the products.
(left)Company Creative Director and ENFÖLD Department Manager Mizuki Ueda (center) at the event
(center)Unveiling of the Spring/Summer 2017 collection
(right)Catering service as a courtesy to the guests
Store outline: ENFÖLD WEST VILLAGE
• Address : 411 Bleecker Street New York, NY 10014
• Opening Day : Friday, September 9, 2016
• Store Hours : 11:00–19:00 (Mon–Sat), 12:00-18:00 (Sun)
• Retail space : 79 m2
ENFÖLD WEST VILLAGE exterior and interior
■MOUSSY Event outline
• Date and time : Thursday, October 27, 2016 19:00–21:00
• Contents : About 150 major representatives of the New York media were invited to a join the party celebrating, for the second time, the brand launch and store opening in New York. The highlight of the event was the appearance of celebrity DJ Alexandra Richards, also a model and the daughter of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. In line with the MOUSSY SOHO concept of incorporating elements of Japan, a feature of which is high-quality “Made in Japan” denim, the event welcomed international Japanese calligrapher and artist Maaya Wakasugi for a live performance. A gift of his work (one kanji character) was presented to the guests on a first come, first served basis.
(left)The highlight of the event at MOUSSY SOHO was the appearance of DJ Alexandra Richards.
(center)MOUSSY SOHO, incorporating elements of Japan, served sake from a barrel and presented the wooden box cup marked with the logo as a gift to the guests.
(right)Calligrapher and artist Maaya Wakasugi gave an exciting performance; his work (one kanji character) was offered as a gift on a first come, first served basis.
Profile of Maaya Wakasugi, Calligrapher/Artist
Born in 1977 in Okayama, Japan, Maaya Wakasugi began practicing calligraphy at age 6 and presented his first solo exhibition at age 17. He graduated from Daito Bunka University, known as one of Japan’s most prestigious schools in calligraphy, and established his unique style of exploring “ancient letters.”
Wakasugi continues to broaden his horizons as an artist, in recent years creating the official logo of the Louvre Museum in Paris, performing at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York, and presenting his work in various other showcases.
In January 2016, he produced kakizome calligraphy for the New Year in a performance with World Economic Forum founder and executive chairman Klaus Schwab in the Japan Night leg of the annual WEF meeting in Davos.
In March, his work was posted on the official website of UN-Water, representing one of many Wakasugi contributes each year to the World Water Day campaign.
In 2017, his calligraphy will feature as the title of the NHK historical drama Onna Joshu Naotora.
Wakasugi is currently based in Bordeaux, France.
Store outline: MOUSSY SOHO
• Address : 474 Broome Street New York, NY 10013
• Opening Day : Saturday, September 10, 2016
• Store Hours : 11:00–20:00 (Mon-Sat), 12:00–19:00 (Sun)
• Retail space : 165 m2
MOUSSY SOHO exterior and interior
■Brand and Company information
ENFÖLD made its debut in 2012 as one of the first “domestic contemporary” brands serving as a bridge between overseas designer brands and lines produced by department stores and select stores. ENFÖLD is carried at six stores in Japan (as of August 31, 2016) and enjoys a thriving wholesale business to select stores in Europe.
MOUSSY, a flagship brand of Baroque since the company’s founding in 2000, presents high-end casual wear with a focus on denim. Having grown into a brand with a following also outside Japan, MOUSSY enjoys a thriving wholesale business to select stores in the United States. The brand is carried at 42 stores in Japan (as of September 30, 2016), and 83 directly operated stores and 39 franchise stores abroad, in China and Hong Kong (as of August 31, 2016).
*Overseas store numbers include 79 MOUSSY stores and 37 multi-brand boutiques in mainland China run by a joint venture of Baroque and Belle International Holdings Limited.
*Overseas store numbers are from one month earlier due to the Baroque financial statements disclosure policy.
Baroque hopes to use the store openings in New York as a driver of further growth and promote recognition of Japan-based Baroque fashion brands around the world.
• Name : Baroque Japan Limited.
• Established : March 2000
• Representative : Hiroyuki Murai, Representative Director and CEO
• Address : Aobadai Hills, 4-7-7 Aobadai, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-0042
(Corporate website) : https://www.baroque-global.com
(ENFÖLD brand website) : http://www.enfold.jp/
(MOUSSY brand website) : http://www.moussy.ne.jp/